a little blog devoted to collecting vintage greeting cards


Pages

my love/hate relationship with the envelope


I won't deny it~~ it's true.....I am the kinda girl who can appreciate a pretty envelope:)



take these vintage envelopes....they are so beautiful ~
the inside printed roses in blue shades

♥♥♥LOVING THESE♥♥♥







here are a few that are lined with
delicate tree branch design specialty
paper LOVING THESE, too!♥♥♥


these flowery flap retro envelopes are adorable
~both from stationary sets
cira 1970-80s
...♥LOVING ♥ LOVING♥....


from another stationary set, these cute little raccoons
coordinated with the writing paper...... circa 1980s
love♥love♥love♥




here's a favorite, Mary Engelbreit.....now, this lady knows the charm of a pretty envelope! On this envelope she has the front and back perfectly decorated with a Christmas theme. c 1995
♥LovElOvELovELovElOve




but....SOME envelopes have just been sealed so dang long...they just REFUSE to be opened

......this is one of my MANY stacks of early 1900s envelopes that refuse to cooperate:(



yeah.....we're getting to the HATE part of this relationship......... (ok, "HATE" is kinda strong...after all I do feel an art project coming on with these.....)


however, in my quest to preserve~recycle~reuse what is old and original... I've tried steaming....heating....hairdryers.... water....(yes, water~whatever, don't judge me!.....)...crowbars...dynamite....

I poke...I pry.... I pray...yell...plead....this old glue is very stubborn......

What have I found worked the best?......drum roll please.........FREEZE THEM......
yep, pop them right into the freezer:)

I stack them into plastic bags first ......
and leave them at least a few hours

admittedly, this method does not work with all the envelopes....there is a variety of different sealants/glues used on them..... and it usually takes a combination of
FREEZING + GENTLE COAXING
(sometimes I get lucky and they will just pretty much pop open!)

for the coaxing portion of this method it can help to CAREFULLY roll/bend the paper....I say ROLL/bend because the object is to release the paper without creasing or tearing..... if the paper starts to weaken then STOP and go at it from a different angle......... yes, I really am this patient...or NUTS!:)
I prefer to use a rounded tool...usually whatever chopstick....hair stick...or knitting needle is poking out of my bun:)
you can always try the trusty letter opener......but remember to use it GENTLY or it will slice the paper!


you can find a wonderful selection of old and original keepsake Greeting Cards ~old store stock available in my etsy shop! VINTAGE RECYCLING GREETING CARDS
All contributed content © vintagerecycling

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...